Dear Rotarians & Friends of Rotarians:
As a reminder, the Rotary Club of Miami Brickell will not be having a meeting this week or next. Our next meeting is Tuesday, January 8, 2013 (happy hour meeting), where our guest speaker will be Steve Baker of the Rotary Club of Key Biscayne. He will speak about his efforts to provide mosquito nets for impoverished families in South America, where malaria is prevalent.
We also would like to take this time to wish you and your families a happy holidays, and to thank you for your support of RCMB. At the half-way point in Rotary Year 2012/2013, we have much to be proud of. A few highlights include:
– Increasing club membership from approximately 27-38.
– Hosting the Group Study Exchange team from India.
– Having our club’s own GSE candidate, Marissa Leichter, selected to go to India
– Raising almost $2,000 for our charitable initiatives, a substantial portion of which will support a joint project with the Rotary Club of Coral Gables and Techo.org to build housing for poor families in Guatemala. The rest of the funds will be used as seed money for the establishment of our own club foundation in the spring.
– Redesign of our club website: https://rcmiamibrickell.wordpress.com/
– Chartering our own Rotaract Club – The Rotaract Club of Downtown Miami, which is affiliated with Miami-Dade College and now has almost 30 new members.
– Raising almost $1,000 for the Rotary Foundation through member annual fund donations.
– Raising over $300 in cash and in kind gifts for the Family Resource Center’s annual toy drive.
– Hosting projects at (1) George Washington Carver Elementary; (2) Everglades National Park; (3) Mathesson Hammock Park; and (4) Safe Space.
We look forward to what 2013 has in store for our club and our community. Again, thank you for everything you do in the spirit of Service Above Self!!!
Yours in Rotary Service,
RCMB President 2012-2013